Each year NAAF and other community stakeholders advocate for additional federal funding for key programs across federal agencies and specific congressional committee recommendations encouraging additional alopecia areata research. Congress is currently working on the annual spending bills for FY 2023 and deciding which resources to commit to which projects. To assist NAAF is working with key champion and community member Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley on advancing FY 2023 priorities. We are thankful that the Congresswoman is leading a congressional sign on letter. This letter asks the House Appropriations Committee to:
- Support much needed research into Alopecia areata at the National Institutes of Health;
- Prioritize report language that would provide Congress with necessary information to understand racial disparities within alopecia areata and;
- Inform efforts to support those battling with alopecia.
The sign on letter will close on Monday April 25th, and member of the House Representative can join the letter (including yours). The more House Representatives that join the letter, the stronger the support for our community’s priorities. However, your member will only endorse the letter if they are asked to by you, their constituent.
Please reach out as soon as possible so that your congressional offices have time to review and approve the letter. We are hoping to attract support this year to demonstrate our growing influence on Capitol Hill and impact on medical research and public health.
- Please reach out to Jackson Rau (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the Health & Medicine Counsel with your zip code and address and indicate your interest in taking action. Jackson will use this information to identify your Representative and the e-mail address for their correct staffer.
- Please e-mail the staffer, attach the sign on letter, and ask for their support. You can use the sample message below to assist with your outreach.
Dear [Staffer Name],
My name is [Your Name] and I am a constituent and an advocate for the alopecia areata community. I write today to ask that your office please join the community’s FY 2023 appropriations sign on letter to support much needed research into Alopecia areata at the National Institutes of Health and to prioritize report language that would provide Congress with necessary information to understand racial disparities within alopecia areata and inform efforts to support those battling with alopecia. A copy the letter and its corresponding Dear Colleague can be found here. We ask that you sign on to this critical letter. To sign on, please complete the via Quill and please contact Aissa Canchola at Aissa.Canchola@mail.house.gov with any questions. (Additional endorsement instructions are included in the PDF.).
Please note, this letter will close on this Monday, April 25th.
[Please briefly share your personal story in 2-3 sentences.]
Thank you for your time and for your consideration of this request. I look forward to hearing from you in this regard.